Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Journey

For so long I held my heart so securely in place
Away from the world, in this cold, dark, lonely space
Then you came into my life, and I didn't know what to do
What my heart had so longingly missed, I now found in you
Letting you in my life was something I wasn't sure about
But the more time we spent together I was left without a doubt
Knowing that with each passing day, your love to me meant more
It filled a place inside my heart that had known only emptiness before
I didn't see how painful it must have been for you to love me, unconditionally
When I demanded so much of you, this perfect person you tried so hard to be
Even though it wasn't purposeful I know it hurt your heart to believe
That just one mistake, and I wouldn't hesitate to leave
How could you have known nothing was ever farther from being true
Your smile, the warmth of your heart, I could never bid adieu
As you held my heart you touched a part of my soul, and there your fingerprints still rest
Your whispers softly echo, with hopes of hearing them I quiet my very breath
Although where we're headed now is something yet unknown,
A part of me has left, and never again will I alone, my heart own
And how fortunate I must be, that at this journey's end
It has been, still is, and always will be, you I call best friend

No comments: